Thursday 2 June 2011

Taves Curator, by Susan Conley


Taves humourously recounts a typical day on every project she curates with this list: ‘Select the images. Phone calls. Internet searches. Lots of coffee.’
There is a certain amount of curating that any artist does, when they set about editing their work, whether it be paintings or prints. For Taves, however, this action has gone beyond private necessity and has turned into public intitative.
She didn’t shy from the learning curve that curating presented. ‘Staying in charge of all the processes made me realise how intensive and demanding is to put an exhibition together,’ she says. ‘I realised that to be a curator requires much more than just choosing images: it involves lots of reading, searching on the web, and creating and utilising a very good network of contacts.  Some of these skills were new to me.’
Taves will continue to call upon art dealers and curators to promote her own work, but is keen to use her organizational skills to work with established photographers, as well as up-and-comers. ‘Curating opens up the artistic world to me, and in doing so makes me more mature and in tune with my work,’ she says. ‘It keeps me learning and plugged in.’

No comments:

Post a Comment