Thursday 2 June 2011

Few questions to Elis, by Susan Conley


Where were you born, and where did you live growing up?


I was born and grew up in Belo Horizonte the capital of the state of Minas Gerais, located in the southeastern region of Brazil. It is the third-largest metropolitan area in the country. Belo Horizonte has a population of over 2.4 million, or almost 5.4 million in the official Metropolitan Area. The city features a mixture of contemporary and classical buildings, and hosts several modern Brazilian architectural icons. The city is built on several hills and is completely surrounded by mountains.


Were you always creative as a child? Would you have tried other mediums before you chose photography?

Yes, as a child I enjoyed participating in various art  and craft related projects such as  photo montages and collecting  images for scrap books and photo albums.  I always thought one day I would be an interior designer or would choose some form of creative path in my life.


Did you have any mentors while you were learning your craft? 

During my apprentice years I gained enough confidence and experience to find my own particular style.  I was determined to continue using my own techniques even though my tutor didn't necessary agree with my photographic personality.  I stubbornly persevered, as I believed I had a skill, which was unique.  

What other photographer's work so you admire? How have they influenced your own work?

I admire different photographers for different reasons; man ray for his surrealist influence. I consider my images to be very abstract as well.  Surprisingly I found my work reflective of man Rays style even though I had not heard of him until I started researching photographers.  Ansell Adams. No connection with my work but I admire his patient and his precision to get the right exposure.  

What brought you to Ireland? how long have you lived here?


For personal reasons my sense of adventure  drove me to Ireland The first country in Europe I visited and found here a nice place to search about the contrasts from my own country. I found the pace of life relaxing and the people charming and land enchanting.  Since 2001 I have visited several times  and have had numerous exhibitions of my work which contrasts the two countries.

What similarities do you see between Ireland and Brazil? 


I can’t really compare the two countries, but I can tell you similarities from my home town to Ireland. Like Ireland it has a lot of History and conflict in its past. A lot of traditions which are enjoyed and well known throughout the world for example in music, food, language, culture and sport. Ireland has changed dramatically in the last few decades and transformed into a modern European country. My home town/city has also changed a lot over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment